Ingredients for preparing Steammed Rice Cake or Puttu
- Rice Flour - 2 cup
- Grated coconut – ¼ cup
- salt to taste - ½ tsp
- Water - as needed to prepare the dough
Steps for preparing Steammed Rice Cake or Puttu
- In a large bowl take the rice flour and add salt, sprinkle water little by little and knead well to make coarse mixture. It should not be in the form of dough.
- In a pressure cooker boil 2-3 cups of water. Take the cylindrical mould (puttu kutty) used for making puttu, Fix the perforated steel disk at the bottom of the mould. Then stats to filling the mould, at first add a thin layer of grated coconut and then thick layer of kneaded rice flour followed by a thin layer of grated coconut.
- Repeat the steps by the alternate layer of grated coconut and rice flour.
- Place the mould on the pressure cooker nozzle and steam it. Once the flour almost cooked, the steam will be go out from mould. Let it cook for some more time.
- Once the puttu is ready, turn off the stove. Place the mould parallel to the serving plate and using a skewer gently push the puttu from the bottom of the mould. It will slides to the plate.
- Serve hot along with chick pea curry or any desired curry.