Ingredients for preparing Rice Pongal
- Raw Rice(Pachari) - 1 cup
- Moong Dal: Cherupayar Parippu - ¾ cup
- Asafoetida - ¼ tsp
- Peppercorns - 2 tsp
- Dry Red Chillies - 2 nos.
- Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
- Ginger :chopped - 1 tsp
- Ghee - ¼ cup
- Curry Leaves - 1 stalk
- Roasted Cashew Nuts - 10 g
Steps for preparing Rice Pongal
- Wash and soak the rice and moong dal for 30 minutes.
- Drain the water and pressure cook the rice, moong dal together with little salt and 3 ½ to 4 cups of water for 3 whistles.
- When cooked, open and transfer the content to the bowl.
- Heat 1 table spoon of ghee in a small pan and splutter cumin seeds followed by black peppercorns, dry red chilli, curry leaves and ginger. Stir fry for a few minutes.
- Add this to the cooked rice dal mixture along with salt, asafoetida, roasted cashew nuts and remaining ghee. Mix well and serve with best combination.